|Location: Kenya||Salary: $100,000 base|
|Sector: Energy / Oil & Gas / Utilities / Mining||Specialism: Strategy|
|Type: Permanent||Contact: Andrew Wilde|
Our client provides investment advisory services in frontier markets for clients including governments, development finance institutions, private equity firms, Fortune 100 companies, and research institutions. Their direct investment arm finances solar projects in East Africa.
This direct investment arm has recently launched the first Mini-Grid Innovation Lab for Africa, a dedicated research and development fund for testing business model prototypes on mini-grids. Over 600 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa still lack access to electricity. The Innovation Lab conservatively estimates that at least 100 million of these people are most cost effectively served by mini-grids today.
You will lead the Mini-Grid Innovation Lab for Africa work, working with mini-grid developers to identify and test innovative solutions to the business model, through managing an iterative process of piloting and refining ideas. With support from academic institutions, you will analyse the results of pilots and their impact on mini-grid business models and support the dissemination of these results to the rest of the sector.
• Oversee and implement innovative business model improvements across Tanzania, Kenya, Nigeria and Zambia
• Analyse results of Lab’s work and support advocacy efforts for the sector
• Identify and engage partners
• Support market and policy assessments and ongoing market analysis
Skills and Characteristics required
• Must have at least 3 years top tier strategy consulting experience
• Ability to think creatively to find innovative solutions to business model gaps
• Excellent analytical ability
• Strong quantitative skills. Ability or willingness to learn how to deploy analytical tools beyond Excel on large data sets to drive insight is essential.
• Project management; planning and executing programs in remote locations to time and budget. Coordinating diverse range of stakeholders in challenging environments
• Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in frontier markets
• Willingness to work and live in a sometimes-challenging environment
• Sensitivity to diverse stakeholder interests (donors, private sector, governments)