Business families around the world seek our client’s services to help them preserve the jewel their portfolios – be it an operating business, a family office, or a family foundation – and to maintain harmony across their family. Half of their clientele are located in North America. The rest are located in South America, the Middle East, Europe, and Asia. They build long-lasting, trusted relationships with their clients, advising them on everything from business strategy, portfolio allocation, governance design, to succession planning.
Their firm is world-class at helping owners manage generational transitions. Their people have authored ground-breaking books such as Generation to Generation, Competing Against Time, Hardball, and the soon-to-be released Family Business Handbook published by Harvard Business Review. They regularly write for, and are quoted, in major media, including the Harvard Business Review, Wall Street Journal, and New York Times, and are sought-after industry experts at conferences and events.
The Principal role is central to the success of our client. Their Principals are deeply engaged with their clients, a role requiring a combination of exceptional emotional intelligence, discretion, neutrality, and confidentiality. Their business is a senior, eye-to-eye model, where all members of their advisory team Interact directly with senior generation and next generation owners. Each client-facing team consists of one Partner and one Principal, who act as the core team, bringing in other members of the firm on an as needed basis. This intimate model allows their advisory team the opportunity to both learn from the expertise of their partners and to build trusted relationships with some of the most influential business owners around the world.
As a Principal, you will lead workstreams across multiple clients and be responsible for holding their client team together. You will be the day-to-day manager of the client engagement, working with partners and other team members to recommend custom solutions for their clients that will enable their family business to transition and thrive.
Their work is challenging, rewarding and also confidential and sensitive. Principals are in contact with family members who are often senior executives in the client family-owned and -controlled companies. Principals also interact with top non-family executives in the client companies.
Their ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Graduate degree from a leading institution (e.g. MBA, MPP, PhD, JD, etc.)
- At least four years of consulting experience with a leading professional services firm, including process and project management; or equivalent experience
- A track record of high achievement in academic and professional environments
- Superior organization and time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently and to arrange schedules and priorities to meet deadlines
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills with a strong financial acumen; demonstrated ability to effectively use data of different types to drive insights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and strong presentation skills; expertise with Microsoft Office Suite, especially PowerPoint
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build client relationships
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, showing initiative and flexibility to accommodate changes
- Ability to generate leads and approach prospective clients
- High level of emotional intelligence, including self-awareness, ability to manage conflict, and ability to empathize but stay neutral in client relationships
- Ability to show discretion in dealing with sensitive information
- Solid professional values with a mature, professional, and polished demeanour
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Prior working knowledge of family business practice preferred