At what is now a turning point in the impact of genetics and genomics in healthcare, this fast growing and market leading genomic business are currently undertaking the task of revolutionising the prediction, prevention and treatment of human disease. Founded by four world-leading geneticists and computational biologists and backed by various leading life science investors, this business has developed its own breakthrough machine learning algorithms that use genetic data at scale to learn directly about human biology, which they have applied to both drug discovery and precision health.
Having recently set up a new Business Unit to focus on applying their breakthrough technologies to its customers, and now at an inflection point, the business are looking to hire a Director of Strategy as part of their growing commercial and strategy function, in order to meet the business’s planned growth in commercial operations. Based in either their Oxford or Cambridge office, this individual will work with senior stakeholders (both commercial and scientific) on the company’s highest commercial and strategic priorities, accelerating growth within their current product set and supporting new ventures across existing and new markets.
As part of their growing commercial function due to the business’s planned growth in commercial operations, they are looking to hire a Director of Strategy to collaborate across functions (e.g., product, sales / marketing, medical, operations, engineering, research and development) to define and execute growth initiatives.
Reporting directly into the Chief Strategy Officer and managing a small team, this individual will work on the company’s highest commercial priorities and have significant exposure to the executive team, where they will interact and collaborate with both senior scientists and commercial stakeholders. The initial focus will be on accelerating growth within the business’s current product set, and supporting new ventures across existing and new markets.
The role will extend across platforms and business units, working across various top-line topics such as new and existing ventures, partnerships/alliances, negotiations, and operations.
The role will be a platform for sustained impact, personal and professional growth.
- The ideal candidate will aspire to be a leader in the life science industry, and the role will provide a strong platform for personal growth.
- Strategic thinker with proven track record of strong business impact. Ideally, within a top tier consulting firm, VC / PE, Investment Banking, Biotech / Pharma or another strategic / analytical role within a rapidly growing company.
- Has reached Manager level or equivalent in consulting/industry.
- Broad knowledge of the healthcare / life sciences industry and value chain (e.g., payors, providers, insurance, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices, healthcare IT / analytics), with a focus on Europe, North America and Asia.
- Distinctive analytical skills (quantitative and qualitative) and excellent communication skills.
- Proactive, self-motivated and detail-orientated team player with the ability to multi-task gained from extensive experience in project and program management.
- Relevant academic background (e.g., medicine, health economics / policy, natural sciences, social sciences, engineering). A master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration would be advantageous but not essential.
- Entrepreneurial: Independent, bias to action, able to operate in a highly ambiguous environment and demonstrated ability to foster relationships with external parties.